Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Valentine Review"

Photobucket
Once you work in a restaurant, Valentine's Day loses its appeal. The constant ringing of the phone at work, taking reservations, and dealing with the special "Festa di San Valentino" menu we do each year at Lugano Restaurant has made the entire week of Valentines Day become a week I actually dread.

Luckily, I have an amazing husband who makes the holiday special every year, and the holiday actually includes my favorite tradition Steve and I have.

Steve, being the hopeless romantic he is :) started a Valentine's Tradition freshman year. For Valentine's Day, Steve wrote a song for me about when we first met, first impressions, when we started dating, etc. The last line of the song says, "here's your Valentine Review, here's my heart, here's to you." Let's be real honest, when he wrote this song freshman year I thought it was cute and romantic -- I listened to the song every so often and that was that. BUT little did I know it would get better.

During my sophomore year (the first Valentine's Day he was on his mission), I received a letter in the mail a few days before Valentine's Day from him. Thinking it was a typical letter I was, of course, excited but when I opened it and found Valentine Review - Volume 1, I was brought to tears. The letter was his view of the first few weeks of how our relationship started freshman year. So sweet and thoughtful. Then the next year I was excited to receive that letter in the mail around Valentines Day. Valentine Review - Volume 2 was just as amazing. Anyone who knows Steve knows of his talent when it comes to writing. He is so talented when putting emotions into words. I don't know anyone who can do it better than Steve...

This year I was excited to see what the Valentine Review was going to encompass. When I got home from work late Saturday night, February 13th, not only did he get me the dresser I had my eye on for awhile for our bedroom, but he wrote a Valentine Review that topped all years in the past. His perception of the morning of our wedding day when he was getting ready and driving to Salt Lake to pick me up was something he had never shared with me before, and to now have his feelings in writing is something I will always cherish.

I think he has his Valentine's Days planned out for the rest of forever -- nothing makes me happier then flowers and the annual Valentine Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment